Prof. Dr. Tilman Brück
033701 - 78 124
3.3.2 Development economics
Horticultural activity offers a unique opportunity to strengthen both income and food security for smallholder farmers. Moreover, people displaced by ...
The Food4Future (F4F) Project is funded in the Framework of the BMBF (Federal Ministry of Research and education) call “Agricultural Systems of ...
Impact evaluation of AVRDC’s home garden project in Bangladesh
Vegetable production in home gardens can have the potential to provide a range of benefits for families in developing countries....
Life in Kyrgyzstan (LiK) Study: Wave 5
The ‘Life in Kyrgyzstan’ Study is a representative, research-based, open access and multi-topic longitudinal survey of households and individuals ...
Nudging children toward healthier food choices: An experiment combining school and home gardens
There is a surge of school garden programs in developing countries, but there is very little evidence to date that such programs drive children to mak...
Emergency Agriculture and Food Security: An International, Interdisciplinary KOSMOS Research Workshop
Despite the notable decline of food insecurity worldwide in the last decade, 795 million people remain undernourished, especially in emergency setting...
LEADS – Leibniz Environment & Development Symposium
Global societal challenges like achieving food security for all, decreasing social inequalities, preventing and overcoming violent conflict and securi...
International Workshop „Home Gardens as a Coping Strategy in Crises and Humanitarian Emergencies“
Der internationale Workshop „Home Gardens as a Coping Strategy in Crises and Humanitarian Emergencies“ hat zum Thema,...
Home Gardens for Resilience and Recovery (HG4RR)
Das überordnete Ziel des Projekts besteht darin, ein internationales Experten-Netzwerk zu schaffen, das sich der Schaffung und dem Austausch von Wiss...
1. Work Experience, Education and Honours
Current Position and Affiliations
- Team Leader – Economic Development and Food Security, IGZ – Leibniz Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops, Großbeeren, since June 2015
- Founder and Director, ISDC – International Security and Development Center, Berlin, since August 2014
- Visiting Professor, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), London, from January 2018
- Co-Director and Co-Founder, Households in Conflict Network (HiCN), since 2004
- Research Fellow, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA), Bonn, since July 2005
- External Researcher, NOVAFRICA, Nova School of Business and Economics, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, since December 2016
- Associate Researcher, Institute of Social Sciences at the University of Lisbon (ICS), Lisbon, since January 2010
Past Positions and Affiliations
- Visiting Professor, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), London, January 2015 – June 2016
- Distinguished Senior Fellow, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute – SIPRI, July 2014 – June 2016
- Director, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute – SIPRI, January 2013 – June 2014
- Full Professor of Development Economics (W3), Department of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-University of Berlin, October 2009 – December 2012
- Head, Department of Development and Security, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin), October 2006 – December 2012 (on parental leave from July till November 2008)
- Assistant Professor of Development Economics (W1), Department of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-University of Berlin, October 2006 – September 2009
- Visiting Lecturer in Development Economics, Tor Vergata University, Rome, February 2004 – March 2006
- Visiting Fellow, United Nations University-World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), Helsinki, August – September 2003.
- Acting Head, Department of International Economics, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin), June 2003 – September 2006
- Economic Advisor, Office of the President, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin), April 2001 – May 2003
- Research Officer, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford, January 2001 – March 2001
- Research Officer, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford, January 1999 – June 1999
- National Social Service, Kindertagesstätte Fritz-Werner-Straße, Berlin, August 1996 – August 1997
- Research Officer, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford, July 1995 – September 1995
- Tutor in Development Economics, BA and MPhil Programmes of Jesus College, Keble College, St Hilda’s College, St Hugh’s College, Summerville College (all part of the University of Oxford) and Williams College (Oxford Campus), 1995 – 1999
- Vice President of the Students’ Representative Council, University of Glasgow, 1992 –1993
- D.Phil. in Economics, University of Oxford, 2001
- M.Phil. in Economics, University of Oxford, 1996
- M.A. in Political Economy (first class honours), University of Glasgow, 1994
- International Baccalaureate (41 points – equivalent to 1.1 on German Abitur scale), Lester B. Pearson United Word College of the Pacific, Victoria, B.C., 1990
Prizes, Distinctions and Scholarships
- Member of the Board, Global Young Academy, 2010 – 2012
- Founding Fellow, Global Young Academy, 2010 – 2014
- „IAP Award for Young Scientists 2008” by the InterAcademy Panel and TWAS, the academy of sciences for the developing world (prize worth 10.000 USD), 2008
- Nominated as „Distinguished Young Scientist” by the „InterAcademy Panel Conference of Young Leaders in STI – 2008” at the World Economic Forum’s „Annual Meeting of the New Champions”, Tianjin, China, September 2008
- Elected Member, Development Economics Committee, German Economic Association, since 2008
- Elected Fellow, Die Junge Akademie (German Young Academy of Sciences), 2007 – 2012
- „Best Article Award” by the Development Studies Association (DSA) for „Poverty during Transition: Household Survey Evidence from Ukraine”, 2007
- Doctoral Scholarship by German Studienstiftung Foundation, 1997 – 2000
- Economic and Social Research Council Scholarship, 1994 – 1996
- Fellow of the Student Challenge management programme of Bertelsmann AG, 1994 – 1997
- Scholarship by German Studienstiftung Foundation, 1990 – 1997
- Departmental Prize for Outstanding Exam Performance, University of Glasgow, 1993
- United World College Scholarship by German Studienstiftung Foundation, 1988 – 1990
- Institute of Social Sciences at the University of Lisbon (ICS), Lisbon, March, June and October 2010
- Centro de Estudos sobre África e do Desenvolvimento, ISEG, UTL, Lisbon, June and November 2009
- Department of Economics, Universidade Nova Lisboa, Lisbon, February 2008
- Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), Oslo, June 2007
- Development Economics Research Group, Department of Economics, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, October 2006
- Department of Economics, Universidade Nova Lisboa, Lisbon, March 2006
- United Nations University-World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), Helsinki, August and September 2005
- United Nations University-World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), Helsinki, August – September 2003
- Summer School „Estonia and Western Europe”, University of Tartu and Studienstiftung Foundation, August 1999
- UNPREDEP Mission, Skopje, FYR of Macedonia, March 1997
- Archival work at the Hamburger Weltwirtschaftsarchiv (HWWA), July 1989
2. Memberships and Professional Activities
Membership of Advisory and Governing Boards
- Member of the IDP Sub-Group, International Expert Group on Refugee and IDP Statistics (EGRIS), Joint IDP Profiling Service, since August 2018
- Academic Advisor, Gender Specific Vulnerabilities to Poverty of FDPs Using Already Existing Household Survey Data, World Bank, since August 2018
- Member of the Faculty Advisory Board, Maastricht School of Management, 2017 – 2018
- Member of the International Evaluation Panel for Economics in Norway, Norwegian Research Council, 2017
- Member of the Advisory Board, Stiftung Entwicklung und Frieden, since 2013
- Member of the International Advisory Council, Institute for Economics and Peace, since 2013
- Member of the Advisory Council, Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford, 2012 – 2015
- Member of the InterAcademy Panel’s Advisory Group on Population, 2011 – 2012
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board, Decreasing Vulnerability to Conflict in MENA through Rural Development, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington DC, 2011 – 2012
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board, ValueSec Research Project, Fraunhofer Institute for Factory Operation and Automation (IFF), 2011 – 2013
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board, Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy (IFSH), Hamburg, 2010 – 2018 (and its Deputy Chair, 2012 – 2018)
- Member of the Advisory Board, Wissenschaftsforum der Sozialdemokratie, 2010 – 2012
- Member of the Academic Steering Committee, Institut für Ländliche Entwicklung (SLE), Humboldt-University of Berlin, 2010 – 2012
- Member of the Advisory Council, Economic Change in the Arab Region (ECAR) Masters Programme, Philipps-Universität Marburg and Damascus University, 2009 – 2011
- Member of the Advisory Group „Transitional Justice and Development” of the International Center for Transitional Justice (ICTJ), New York, 2007 – 2008
- Member of the Advisory Group „Fragile States and International Governance” of the German Foreign Office, Berlin, 2005
Membership of Editorial Boards
- Editor, SIPRI Yearbook, 2013 – 2014
- Member of the Editorial Board, DIW Vierteljahreshefte, 2006 – 2012
- Co-editor, HiCN Working Papers, since 2005
- Member of the Editorial Board, DIW Wochenbericht, 2003 – 2012
Referee for Academic Journals and Publishers
Agriculture and Human Values, Agricultural Economics, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Campbell Collaboration, Conflict Management and Peace Science, Defence and Peace Economics, Demographic Research, Disasters Journal, Economics of Peace and Security Journal, Economic Systems, Economics of Transition, European Journal of Political Economy, Fiscal Studies, German Journal of Agricultural Economics, IZA Journal of Labor & Development, Journal for Labour Market Research, Journal of African Economies, Journal of Common Market Studies, Journal of Comparative Economics, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Development Studies, Journal of Economic Inequality, Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of Peace Research, Journal of Population Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Open Economies Review, Oxford Development Studies, Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, Review of Development Economics, Risk Analysis, Schmollers Jahrbuch, Security Dialogue, World Development
Referee for Grant-Awarding Bodies
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (Germany), Economic and Social Research Council (UK), International Initiative for Impact Evaluation – 3ie (India), European Science Foundation, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (Portugal), Israel Science Foundation (Israel), Österreichische Nationalbank (Austria), Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes (Germany), VolkswagenStiftung (Germany)
Membership of Academic Hiring Committees
- Hiring committee, Associate Professor of Economics, Nova School of Business and Economics, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2017-2018
- Hiring committee for the President, DIW Berlin, Berlin, 2011-2012
- Hiring committee for the Head of the Centre for Advanced Training in Rural Development (SLE), Faculty of Agriculture, Humboldt-University of Berlin, 2010
- Hiring committee for an Assistant Professor of Agricultural Economics, Department of Agricultural Economics, Faculty of Agriculture, Humboldt-University of Berlin, 2010
- Hiring committee for the Head, Department of Information Society and Competition, DIW Berlin, Berlin, 2010
- Hiring committee for a Chair in Economics, Hertie School of Governance, Berlin, 2008
- Hiring committee for the Head, Department of Macroeconomic Growth and Forecasting, DIW Berlin, Berlin, 2007
Memberships in Professional Organisations
- American Economic Association
- European Economic Association
- German Economic Association
- Development Economics Committee of the German Economic Association
- Tönissteiner Kreis
3. Teaching and Supervision Experience
Full Professor of Development Economics
Duration: October 2009 till December 2012
Employer: Humboldt-University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Course taught: Economics of Human Development (MSc, 2 hours/week)
Assistant Professor of Development Economics
Duration: October 2006 till September 2009
Employer: Humboldt-University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Course taught: Household Coping, Poverty and Well-Being in Developing Countries (MSc, 2 hours/week)
Visiting Lecturer in Development Economics
Duration: February 2004 till March 2006
Employer: Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
Course taught: The Economics of Conflict and Reconstruction (MSc, 1 week module)
Tutor in Labour Economics
Duration: Summer Semester 2002
Employer: Free University Berlin, Germany
Tutor in Development Economics, BA and MPhil Programmes
Duration: 1995 – 1999
Employers: Jesus College, Keble College, St Hilda’s College, St Hugh’s College, Summerville College (all part of the University of Oxford, UK) and Williams College, Oxford Campus, UK
Completed Doctoral Supervision
Ghassan Baliki: Empirical Advances the Measurement and Analysis of Violent Conflict, defended September 2017 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Wolfgang Stojetz: War and Behaviour – Evidence from Angolan Civil War Veterans, defended April 2016 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Nina Wald: Three Essays on Conflict and Development in Colombia, defended November 2015 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Margherita Calderone: Essays on Violent Conflict, Vulnerability to Shocks, and Household Welfare, defended December 2014 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Damir Esenaliev: Three Essays in the Economics of Inequality and Well-Being in Kyrgyzstan, defended November 2013 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Lena Giesbert: Microinsurance and Risk Management: Evidence from Ghana, defended November 2013 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Sindu Workneh Kebede: Poverty and Shocks in Development Economics: Micro and Macro Perspectives, defended October 2013 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Tony Muhumuza: Household Livelihoods, Violent Conflict and Child Labour, defended February 2013 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Antje Kröger: Four Essays in Development Microeconomics: Migration, Poverty and Well-being in Central Asia, defended November 2012 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Marc Vothknecht: The Economic Consequences of Violent Conflict: Evidence from Macro- and Micro-level Data, defended December 2010 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Cathérine Müller: An Econometric Analysis of Concerns about Terrorism, defended November 2010 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Christine Binzel: Three Essays in Development Microeconomics, defended July 2010
Kati Schindler: Violent Conflict, Reconstruction and Development: The Household Perspective, defended July 2010 at Humboldt-University of Berlin
Andréanne Léger: Impact of Intellectual Property on Innovation in Developing Countries, defended 2007 at Humboldt-University of Berlin (second supervisor)
last updated: November 2018
Editorial – Micro-economics of violent conflict
Verwimp, P.; Justino, P.; Brück, T. 2019. Editorial – Micro-economics of violent conflict. Journal of Development Economics.
Food security and violent conflict: Introduction to the special issue
Brück, T.; d´Errico, M. 2019. Food security and violent conflict: Introduction to the special issue. World Development 117, 167-171.
Money Can’t Buy Love but Can It Buy Peace? Evidence from PEACE II
Brück, T.; Ferguson, N.T.N. 2018. Money Can’t Buy Love but Can It Buy Peace? Evidence from PEACE II. Conflict Management and Peace Science.
Post-socialist transition and intergenerational educational mobility in Kyrgyzstan.
Brueck, T.; Esenaliev, D. 2018. Post-Socialist Transition and the Intergenerational Educational Mobility in Kyrgyzstan. Economics of Transition 26, 61-89.
The connection between social cohesion and personality: A multilevel study in the Kyrgyz Republic
Larsen, M.; Esenaliev, D.; Brück, T.; Boehnke, K. 2018. The connection between social cohesion and personality: A multilevel study in the Kyrgyz Republic. International Journal of Psychology 2018 Nov 28.
The effects of violent conflict on household resilience and food security: Evidence from the 2014 Gaza conflict
Brück, T.; d’Errico, M.; Pietrelli, R. 2018. The effects of violent conflict on household resilience and food security: Evidence from the 2014 Gaza conflict. World Development.
The Microeconomics of Violent Conflict
Verwimp, P.; Justino, P.; Brück, T. 2018. Editorial: The Microeconomics of Violent Conflict. Journal of Development Economics, in press.
Can rigorous impact evaluations improve humanitarian assistance?
Puri, J.; Aladysheva, A.; Iversen, V.; Ghorpade, Y.; Brück, T. 2017. Can rigorous impact evaluations improve humanitarian assistance? Journal of Development Effectiveness 9, 519-542.
Violent Conflict and Inequality
Bircan, C.; Brück, T.; Vothknecht,M. 2017. Violent Conflict and Inequality. Oxford Development Studies, 45, 125-144.
Conflict and Development: Recent Research Advances and Future Agendas
Brueck, T.; Justino, P.; Martin-Shields, CP. 2017. Conflict and Development: Recent Research Advances and Future Agendas. WIDER Working Paper, Nr. 178/2017.→
Micro-Foundations of Fragility: Concept, Measurements, and Application
Baliki, G.; Brueck, T.; Ferguson, NTN.; Kebede, S. 2017. Micro-Foundations of Fragility: Concept, Measurements, and Application. IZA Discussion Paper Nr. 11188→
Special issue: Food security and violent conflict
Brück, T.; d’Errico, M., eds. 2019. Special issue: Food security and violent conflict. World Development. Elsevier Ltd., Netherlands.